Are damaged teeth preventing you from enjoying your favorite crunchy or chewy foods? Do the gaps in your smile left by missing teeth make you shy around the camera? If you want to regain your confident smile and strong bite, contact Edgewood Dental Care to learn about your dental implant options today!
At our Edgewood, KY dentist office, our team of dental professionals can rejuvenate your pearly whites with an array of services! Our own Dr. McMahon has even achieved Diplomate status in the International Association of Implant Dentistry, so you can rest assured your smile is in good hands!
Dental Implants Explained
Dental implants are a great restorative dentistry treatment for those who need to replace damaged or missing teeth. Through a process called osseointegration, dental implants literally fuse with your jawbone, providing a strong, sturdy foundation for a variety of tooth restoration options.
Dental implants consist of three parts:
- The dental implant
- The abutment, which connects the implant and restoration
- The restoration (replacement teeth)
Compared to other tooth replacement options, dental implants offer several advantages because they:
- Can last a lifetime with proper care
- Provide up to 90% of the biting power of your natural teeth
- Look, function, and feel just like your natural teeth
- Do not require any preparation of your surrounding, healthy teeth for placement
Also, because dental implants replace your natural tooth roots, they prevent bone and tissue loss in your face and jaw, helping you to maintain your youthful look!
Your Dental Implant And Restoration Options
Because every patient is unique, we provide several options for dental implants at our Edgewood, KY dental office.
In order to get dental implants placed, you will need to have good oral health and a thick, dense jawbone. If your jaw is healthy but not quite sturdy enough, we may be able to use mini dental implants in some cases.
Before deeming you a suitable candidate, we will conduct a thorough assessment of the inside of your mouth and your jaw structure using state-of-the-art dental technology, including:
- Digital X-rays, which produce sharper images with less radiation than traditional X-rays
- Intraoral cameras for a close-up view of your teeth and gums
- Cone beam CT technology to get 3D images of your bone structure
If your jaw is thick and healthy, we will also use this technology to carefully plan your procedure.
After we have verified you are a good candidate for dental implants, we will recommend an assortment of restorations to fit your needs, including:
- Same-day dental crowns thanks to our in-house CEREC milling machine
- Dental bridges
- Immediate-load dental implant dentures for a full-mouth reconstruction
Depending on your situation and smile goals, we may even be able to attach an entire arch of replacement teeth to just four or six dental implants using the All-on-4 method!
What To Expect When You Get Dental Implants
So you’ll know exactly what to expect when you undergo procedures at Edgewood Dental Care, we will review each step of the process with you before we begin.
Once we have determined you are a good candidate for dental implants, we will:
- Numb the area using our cutting-edge WAND computer-assisted anesthesia delivery system
- Remove damaged teeth if necessary
- Gently and precisely insert your dental implants into your jaw with the help of our computer-guided place
In many cases, we are able to perform the entire process during a single visit! And, if you are replacing individual teeth with dental crowns attached to dental implants, we may be able to place your implant and attach your dental crown in the same day! You could walk in needing a tooth replaced and leave with a beautifully restored smile!
Comfort Options, Dental Sedation
From the moment you arrive at our dental office, we’ll do everything we can to make your visit a pleasant one. Our friendly team will listen to any concerns you may have so we can provide the best care possible.
To help relax you, we provide an array of amenities, including:
- TVs and headphones available in every care room to entertain and distract you while we work
- A beverage and snack station
- Heated massage chairs available in certain rooms
- Warm towels
- Cozy blankets
- Lip balm
If all that isn’t enough to take the edge off, we can also relieve your dental anxiety with dental sedation options!