When I started out long ago, everything was amalgam which was the old over black filling. Nowadays I haven't done an amalgam filling in 26 years probably just because of mercury and things like that. Not that I think they're horrible but people and I wants something more cosmetic that people need when they smile they don't see the black or the gray. So pretty much with the composite, the white filling for functional standpoints and for cosmetics standpoints.
Say no to unsightly metal fillings and visit Edgewood Dental Care for beautiful, discreet tooth-colored fillings!
At our Edgewood Dental Care dental office, one of our skilled Edgewood, KY dentists — Drs. McMahon, Peak, Ford, Wilson or Middendorf — can safely replace your amalgam fillings or fill your cavities with these tooth-colored fillings that blend seamlessly with your natural teeth.
Tooth-Colored Fillings: The Painless Process
Tooth-colored fillings are just what the name says: fillings that are the same color as your tooth. If we find cavities during your routine dental cleanings and exams, we will determine whether a white filling is sufficient to repair the decay. If so, we will:
- Match the composite resin to your tooth
- Administer anesthesia with our painless Wand system
- Prepare your tooth
- Shape the composite putty-like material until it molds to the natural shape of your tooth
- Bond the composite to your tooth and harden it with a special light for a strong bond
- Polish the area so that it shines just as if it were a natural part of your tooth
Tooth-Colored Fillings Vs. Metal Fillings
Compared to traditional metal amalgam fillings, tooth-colored fillings have many advantages:
- Mercury-free for those concerned about mercury leaking out into their bodies or for patients with metal allergies
- Strong and durable so they can serve your smile well for many years
- Preserve your healthy tooth structure by strengthening your tooth and saving more of the healthy portion of your tooth than a silver filling
Dr. Kevin McMahon has achieved Diplomate status in the International Dental Implant Association, received his IV sedation certification with advanced airway and emergency management, achieved Invisalign Preferred Provider status, and has been LANAP certified to treat gum disease.
If you need your silver filling replaced with an aesthetic tooth filling, let the experts at Edgewood Dental Care handle it for you with a tooth-colored filling. You can contact us for your appointment by calling 859-474-7830 or sending your request through our convenient online form. We can’t wait to make your smile healthier and more beautiful!