It’s the end of the vacation season and the start of a new school year, if you have kids. If you’ve recently gotten back from your summer vacation or are about to send your kids to school, keep Edgewood Dental Care in mind as your dentist of choice for any dental emergency you or your family have!
Dr. McMahon, an emergency dentist in Edgewood, KY and the surrounding areas, can take care of any of your family’s dental emergencies the same day they happen! If your kid gets a tooth knocked out, broken, or chipped at school, see us right away! If you got injured on your recent vacation or started experiencing pain and didn’t get to see a dentist, let us help take care of your injury and get rid of your pain. We’ll get your smile back into good shape! We even have late and Saturday hours to make sure you get seen.
If you haven’t read our page on dental emergencies, check it out here. Otherwise, we’ll give you a quick refresher of some common injuries we see during the summer and the school year. Then we’ll tell you how our office has all the expertise, knowledge, technology, and tools to make sure your smile remains in beautiful condition.
Ah, the dreaded knocked-out tooth! This is one of the top reasons we see patients for emergencies at our office. This can happen during vacation, either at the beach while you’re surfboarding, if you fall while hiking, or if you’re playing on a summer ball team and get injured on the field. We also see kids who’ve knocked out their teeth playing school sports or local sports.
Regardless, it’s important that you know that a skilled dentist may be able to reimplant your knocked-out tooth! But you must contact us immediately and follow these important instructions to protect your tooth:
- Find your tooth – do not discard it!
- If your tooth is dirty (maybe it fell in dirt on the playing field), carefully rinse it in cool or warm water. Be careful not to touch the root – that needs to be preserved for us to place it back into the socket.
- Place your tooth in a cup of milk (contains calcium) or your saliva. If you can’t do that, place it in your mouth to preserve it from further damage and to keep the root as stable as possible before you arrive to our office.
- Call us right away at 859-474-7830 or come straight to see us. Don’t forget your tooth!
- If you’re mouth or gums are swollen, take an over-the-counter pain reliever and place ice on the outside of your cheek near your tooth.
If for any reason we are unable to save your tooth, we have excellent, natural-looking restorations to fill in the gap in your smile, including same-day crowns to repair a broken tooth, dental implants and bridges.
Broken or Chipped Tooth
If you’ve chipped or broken your tooth or if your kid calls from school because that’s happened to them, see us to get your tooth looking normal again and relieve your pain. Make sure you follow this advice before you come:
- If you’ve broken your tooth, find all the pieces you can and put them in a bag or container. We may be able to repair your tooth using the pieces (don’t worry – we will make it look natural, just like your old smile!).
- If your broken tooth is still intact in your mouth but has sharp edges, carefully place dental wax or gum on the tooth.
- Avoid eating, especially with a broken tooth, until you can get here. If you must eat because you can’t come for a while, lukewarm liquid foods are best, but only after any bleeding stops.
- Contact us right away at 859-474-7830 for an appointment. You don’t want to wait to call because your tooth could suffer more damage by waiting, especially after you eat. Don’t forget to bring the pieces of your tooth, if you have any!
- If you have any pain or swelling, take an over-the-counter pain reliever and place ice on the outside of your cheek near your tooth.
To help restore your tooth or protect the remaining tooth, we may use same-day crowns, veneers, or dental bonding.
What to Expect at Your Painless Emergency Appointment
When you get here, we have a number of instant tools at our disposal, such as digital X-rays, to help find out the best way to get your tooth back into place! If you’re incredibly scared about coming, don’t let that stop you! It’s better for us to try and save your tooth than continue to risk more damage or even to go toothless! Our kind, calming doctors and staff are prepared to help you and make you feel comfortable. Plus, we have The Wand anesthesia painless injections to help get you numb, and sedation dentistry to keep you calm and even help you forget that you’re here!
If you have a life-threatening emergency, make sure you get to an emergency room as soon as possible! You can follow up with us afterward if you’ve sustained any dental emergencies. We want you to be safe and stay healthy!
Make an Appointment
If you or your child has knocked out a tooth, broken or cracked a tooth, or just have ongoing dental pain that’s getting worse, see us right away! We’ll do everything we can to see you the same day! Contact our Edgewood, KY office and add our number to your phone in the case of a future emergency.