Dr. McMahon on Wisdom Teeth Removal
If your wisdom teeth are causing you pain or other oral health problems, call Edgewood Dental Care in Edgewood, KY to get relief from any of our skilled Edgewood, KY dentists — Drs. McMahon, Peak, or Middendorf. By taking advantage of today’s dental technology, we can do wisdom teeth removal fairly quickly and painlessly.
Do I Need My Wisdom Teeth Removed?
Most patients will need a wisdom teeth removal. At your regular dental cleaning and exam, we will check for signs that may indicate they should be extracted:
- unhealthy bone structure
- gum disease at or near your wisdom teeth
- tooth infection and decay
- persistent tooth pain or discomfort
- crowding or no room in the jaw for them to erupt
- damage to surrounding teeth
- cysts, abscesses, and tumors
Because impacted and partially impacted wisdom teeth are difficult to clean, they can be more vulnerable to bacteria and plaque.
How Are Wisdom Teeth Removed?
Wisdom teeth removal is similar to the regular tooth extraction process. We will:
- Plan your wisdom teeth extraction with precision using digital X-rays and 3D images of your mouth.
- Relax you, making sure you are in perfect comfort using dental sedation options and painless, computer-assisted numbing.
- Gently remove your wisdom teeth to prevent complications.
Thanks to careful planning, you will have a safer procedure, quicker healing, and less risk for complications or pain afterward.
You will need someone to drive you home due to the effects of the sedation.
How Long Is Wisdom Tooth Recovery?
Recovery is usually very quick. To ensure that your teeth heal well, follow our aftercare instructions, including eating soft and liquid foods for the first few days. Many of our patients need no pain medication, while others may need a prescription pain reliever.
If you or your children need wisdom teeth removed, make an appointment with our trusted Edgewood, KY dentists today by calling 859-474-7830 or completing our online form. We perform hundreds of wisdom teeth removals every year!