This Independence Day, the folks here at Edgewood Dental Care want to give our military and others a big thank you for serving our country. After all, that’s why we enjoy our freedom – and that’s why we celebrate this holiday! We also hope that everyone has a day full of fun, family, and food!
This holiday reminds us of another freedom that we can offer our patients. That’s the freedom from dental anxiety. It’s common to be afraid of the dentist, but we have been helping countless people get rid of this fear for decades.
It’s time for our Edgewood, KY dentists to help you with your anxiety so you can get the smile you deserve. See how below, then take that leap of faith and call today for your visit. You won’t regret it!
There’s No Need to Be Afraid of the Dentist with Sedation
One of the biggest ways we can help you break free from your fear is through dental sedation . It’s not wrong to be afraid, but staying away from the dentist because of fear can lead to oral health problems. It also means you can’t improve your smile’s appearance.
Sedation is an easy way to help. It doesn’t require you to get rid of your anxiety. We’ll simply administer the sedation so that your fears basically melt away during treatment. Some types of dental sedation can even make you forget about your treatment altogether!
People have different levels of fear, so we acknowledge that by offering three types of sedation .
- Laughing gas, or inhalation anesthesia: This is our mildest form of sedation. It’s even safe enough for kids who are anxious or have a hard time staying still. Patients use this for everything from oral surgery to dental exams . All you do is breathe in the gas mixture through a small mask, and you’re relaxed within seconds. If you have to drive back to work, home, or to pick up the kids, you’ll also be back to normal in no time, with no lingering effects.
- Oral sedation: This is our next level of sedation. We’ll give you an FDA-approved pill before your treatment begins. You’ll feel so relaxed that you won’t care about your treatment. Like inhaled sedation, you’ll still be able to respond to us. You won’t be asleep, but you could doze off. This is good for many types of appointments too, and the relaxation lasts longer in case you need more than one thing done at your visit.
- IV sedation: This type of sedation isn’t offered by most Edgewood, KY dentists or even dentists in the region. But we have the certifications and training required to administer it here. We’ll give you this sedative through an IV, and you’ll be completely relaxed in seconds. Most patients fall asleep. You’re not unconscious, though, so you don’t have to worry about that.
If you don’t want to know what’s going on, ask about IV sedation when you call to set up your appointment. It’s great for longer procedures like tooth extractions.
Our doctors and staff are trained to administer anesthesia properly and to monitor you during treatment. You will be safe in our hands. And you will have a better smile afterward! Many of our fearful patients start out with a stronger level of sedation and then work down to laughing gas or no sedation at all.
Get Comfortable with Amenities
Going to the dentist today shouldn’t mean walking into an office that feels like a dentist office. We’ve designed our office to be comfortable, from the facilities to the “creature comforts” that make your time here pleasant. Yes, we said pleasant! We’ve had people come in afraid and leave relaxed, glad to have spent some “me time” in our office.
Here are just a few things our patients have said make them comfortable at Edgewood Dental Care. (You’ll find them on our comfort menu.)
- Blankets and pillows: You don’t have to be uncomfortable at the dentist. Why should you be when we’re here to serve you and help you? Ask for a blanket if you’re chilly or a pillow if you’d like to relax.
- Headphones and TV: Let us give you a little time to catch up on your favorite TV show or even watch a movie. We’ll take care of your smile and your entertainment!
- Complimentary refreshments: Enjoy a beverage and snack when you come in. We won’t keep you waiting long, but if you’re early or have a few minutes, you can help yourself!
- Heated massage chairs: Take your dental appointment to the next level. Request this at your appointment (available in some rooms). It’s like a mini spa treatment!
Relax with Our Reassuring Team
One thing we hear over and over again is that people have felt uncomfortable, judged, or lectured at the dentist. We make it our goal to ensure you never feel this way at Edgewood Dental Care.
Feeling guilty or shamed serves no purpose, and it actually keeps people away from the dentist. There’s no judgment here. Our goal is to help you get the smile you want and need in the most comfortable way possible.
Even if you’ve never felt this way at the dentist before, you could still be anxious for no apparent reason. Our positive, gentle, personable manner will help settle you from the moment you walk in our office. Some people feel reassured just from feeling free to ask questions. Others want to know that their treatment will be done right the first time. We can even offer to hold your hand if that’s what it takes. Or we can offer you an early, late, or long appointment in a private room to take things at your pace.
Enjoy Treatments with Modern Dentistry
Gone are the old days of painful dental tools and methods – at least with Dr. McMahon and our team. Our technology makes your treatment quicker, more comfortable, and more precise. For example:
- The Wand anesthesia administers anesthesia painlessly.
- Intraoral cameras let us show you inside your mouth on a monitor. You won’t feel in the dark when we can actually show you what’s going on (unless you don’t want to see, of course!).
- DIAGNOdent cavity detectors mean less poking around in your mouth with tools to find cavities.
- Our CBCT 3-D scanner helps us see all the details of your mouth, so we can avoid problems upfront with precision care.
- CEREC crowns mean no goopy impressions! We’ll digitally scan your teeth and even create a crown in one day. No temporary crowns, either!
We could go on, but if you don’t believe us, just take the word from some of our patients . You can even set up a visit just to meet us and tour our office if you can’t work yourself up to an exam just yet.
Don’t let your fear of the dentist hold you back from getting the smile you want. Enjoy freedom from dental anxiety – and freedom to smile proudly – by calling us at 859-474-7830. You can contact our Edgewood, KY dentist office online as well.